Sunday, March 26, 2006

No Idea for a Title

A few quick notes:



Party Pooper Foresaw Japan's WBC Crown



First off, I feel the need to remind everyone that my fearless prediction of Japan taking the WBC crown did indeed come true. In the tradition of psychics everywhere, I expect everyone to ignore the multitude of other predictions I made that were something less than accurate and recognize my obvious psychic powers.




Leehyori
Iceberg also covers the Lee Hyo-ri 'alleged' plagiarism of a Brittany Spears song. When I first heard the Hyo-ri song, I thought it was a Korean language semi-cover of the song at first. I say semi-cover, as it is a Korean custom among their "songwriters" to take existing western or Japanese songs and just add new lyrics, without pretending that it is a totally new song. Apparently they were hoping no one was paying attention when they tried to pawn this song of as an original. While clearly it is plagiarized, the most important thing to keep in mind in this debate is that I think we'd all rather sleep with Lee Hyo-ri than Brittany, and in the end, that's all that really matters when it comes to pop music.



Call out the VANKers!



"Is ``East Sea’’ losing out to ``Sea of Japan’’ in news publications in the United States?", an article in the Korea Times asks. To which the U.S. responds (if I am reading between the lines correctly here), grow the fuck up already.

Well ok, maybe that's a stretch. Here's the actual response:

The BGN [Board for Geographic Names] has determined that `Sea of Japan’ is the
most appropriate name, conforming to the policies used in determining
the conventional English-language name for high seas features. This
issue has been recently discussed and no change in policy is
anticipated.’’


Amen. Of all the issues in the world for people to exert energy on, this has got to be the silliest and most childish thing I've ever heard of. If Koreans tried to get the sea renamed something which was truly neutral then it wouldn't be so bad. But then I guess that would be the mature, adult thing to do. The whole thing is just an attempt to try to get some childish revenge on Japan.

When it comes to Japan issues, this entire country needs some serious psychotherapy.


And Finally



I was desperately trying to find another reason to post Kevin's "It Makes a Difference to the Sheep" picture, and I think I finally found it.



South Korea 'expressed regret' on behalf of Press Corps who tried to resist their reports on North-South family reunions being censored by North Korea.

The South Korean press gathered at the reunions on Tuesday reported
that a fisherman who was reunited with his family there had been
“kidnapped” by North Korea, as indeed he had been. Incensed North
Korean security forces barged into the satellite van of the press corps
and confiscated SBS footage as well as issuing threats to deal with a
reporter “under North Korean law” unless he left immediately.



The state-run Korean Central News Agency on Thursday night
said authorities “took into consideration that the head of the South
Koreans admitted their wrongdoings and expressed regret for the South
Korean journalists’ provocative actions against us, and decided to let
the second round of meeting of the families proceed as scheduled.”

Makesdifference2sheepsidebar_1_2
Bravo, Roh Mu-hyun, bravo.



If I had photoshop skills, I'd add a speech bubble to this picture with the sheep Roh Mu-hyun squealing out in pain, "The Sunshine (OW!) Policy (Ooh!) is (Ugh!)working!"



Way to take it hard and deep for the team.


This makes it three posts in a row now that I have used this picture. That's a record in the Korbloggosphere I hope will stand for years to come.








No comments: